April 23, 2007

Andy's Road to Idoldom


This has been an incredibly busy -- and exciting -- time. We learned late last month that my nephew Andrew was accepted to American Idol Camp. Andrew is a Level 3 student at the Russian Ballet Academy of Indiana. He's been sort of a standout since starting at the former Ballet Internationale's Clara Noyes Academy. Within his first month there, I was told by the principal that he could have a career in dance if he kept up with the training. That first year, he managed to earn the lead role of Sancho in the school's production of Don Quixote.

The whole thing with Andrew has been really wild! I was just signing up my kid to go to summer camp, but all this has really snowballed. I happened to be trolling about on the Idol web site, looking at bios, when I saw a banner ad for the camp. I opened it and was taken to an awesome web site. Because Andrew wants to be a triple threat (singer, actor, dancer) on Broadway, I thought this would be an ideal opportunity.

I called Andrew to help write the application -- after all, I didn't know what his favorite song, movie or musical was. Of course, he was going to answer with just West Side Story. I've been trying to teach the boys to write things in threes, so I told him he had to share three reasons why it was his favorite musical.

The extra work paid off. A couple of weeks later, I received a call from an American Idol producer who said the admissions folks were really impressed with Andrew's application and wondered whether we'd mind if he were featured on The Today Show. WOULD WE MIND??? A week later, the Today crew descended on our home, and the segment aired on April 4. I hear scenes from Andrew's segment also were included in another segment where other children were featured. Today also plans to follow up when Andrew goes to camp in July.


No comments: