May 19, 2007

A Day at Leslie's Farm

CustomGlitterGraphics.com - Myspace Glitter Graphics
Today we got up at 7:30 a.m. to help my friend Leslie and her husband George plant an apple and paw paw tree orchard. In addition to my boys, the crew included my cousin Warrick and my nephew Christopher.


The boys had helped out in the fall with the planting of peach trees for the orchard on the farmland owned by Leslie's father northeast of Brownsburg. This time, the process was much safer and more efficient because George had pre-dug the post holes into which the young trees were placed.

We'd had to postpone the birthday party we'd scheduled for Roland at Party Safari in Avon because our day was over-committed. But Leslie was generous enough to allow us to celebrate His 11th birthday at the farm in the evening, which Roland considered a suitable substitute. The boys love the farm because of the dirt bikes and ATVS and the Amish-built cabin Leslie's father built there last year.

Though I'd bought a cake last night, I had to run out at the last minute to gather food and party supplies. George built Roland a bonfire. The boys are all pyromaniacs.

I'm never sure of which gifts I'll give the boys. I usually try to give them a computer game, a book, maybe a toy and a gemstone. Roland, Andrew and Alex each became enamored of my gemstone collection. In order to keep mine intact, I have started them each on their own. Roland receives heart-shaped faceted gemstones. This time, I gave him bytownite, sometimes called a yellow labradorite. When possible, I give Andrew cabochons and stones sculpted into tiny Buddha statuettes for Alex.

No comments: